Tuesday, July 16, 2024
HomeWorldEx-Ferrari driver sues Formula One, Bernie Ecclestone and FIA over 2008 world...

Ex-Ferrari driver sues Formula One, Bernie Ecclestone and FIA over 2008 world champion claims  | World News


Felipe Massa has taken felony motion in opposition to System One, racing supremo Bernie Ecclestone and governing frame the FIA.

The ex-Ferrari driving force is chasing reputation because the 2008 global champion, along a payout of £64m.

The Brazilian has claimed since latter 12 months that he’s the “rightful” 2008 global champion because of one of the vital game’s greatest scandals, dubbed “Crashgate” by way of some.

On the 2008 Singapore Grand Prix, fellow Brazilian Nelson Piquet Jr says he purposefully crashed right into a wall in an attempt to aid Renault teammate Fernando Alonso – who went onto win the race.

Piquet Jr stated he have been ordered to take action by way of his crew, igniting an argument that noticed Renault make a choice to not competition a price of race-fixing and the leaving from the crew of 2 senior figures.

The hit resulted in a security automotive being deployed, all through which Ferrari bungled a pit restrain and Massa tumbled from first position to a Thirteenth-place end.

On the finish of the season, Massa misplaced out by way of a unmarried level to Lewis Hamilton, which means the incident had a vital have an effect on at the identify.

Crashgate simplest got here to bright a 12 months nearest, and Renault had been punished however officers insisted the occasion that had elapsed supposed the effects may now not be overturned.

On Monday, the 42-year-old, represented by way of Brazilian regulation company Vieira Rezende Advogados, filed the lawsuit.

The legal actions stems back to a controversial crash in 2008. Pic: Reuters
Symbol:
The felony movements stems again to a debatable hit in 2008. Pic: Reuters

In a observation he stated: “I always said that I would fight until the end. As FIA and FOM decided to do nothing, we will seek the correction of this historical injustice through the courts.

“The subject is now with the attorneys and they’re absolutely accredited to do no matter is important in order that justice is completed for the game.”

Mr Ecclestone, 93, who led F1 for four decades until 2017, said on Monday: “If he had requested me, I’d have stated it used to be the whole proper factor to do, to sue, and to let an English pass judgement on make a decision what is true and mistaken.

Nelson Piquet Jr's car is lifted by crane after he was ordered to crash. Pic: AP
Symbol:
Nelson Piquet Jr’s automotive is lifted by way of crane later he used to be ordered to hit. Pic: AP

“I cannot say anything about the outcome and what will happen. I have not got a clue, I don’t think anyone has, but from his point of view, it is better that an English judge comes up with a verdict. It will be of more help for him.”

Learn extra from Sky Information:
Andrew Tate and his brother detained after arrest warrant issued by UK
British man dies in freak accident at his engagement party
Kate pictured with William after controversy over edited photograph

Talking latter September, Mr Hamilton, who gained his first identify within the 12 months of the talk, stated: “If that’s the direction that Felipe wants to go, that’s his decision. I prefer not to focus on the past.

“Whether or not it’s 15 years in the past, two years in the past, or 3 days in the past, I’m simplest within the provide and my focal point is on serving to my crew this future.”

Former Chief Executive of the Formula One Group Bernie Ecclestone arrives for a fraud case hearing at Southwark Crown Court in London, Britain, October 12, 2023 REUTERS/Belinda Jiao
Symbol:
Former F1-chief Bernie Ecclestone arriving at courtroom for a fraud case. Pic: REUTERS/Belinda Jiao

The £64m determine comes from the estimate of the alleged monetary loss suffered from lacking out at the identify, plus passion.

The sum represented the too much in wage for the left-overs of his profession and cash from sponsorship and industrial alternatives, in addition to a £1.7m bonus he would have won from Ferrari.

System One Control (FOM) and the Paris-based World Car Federation each refused to remark.

The ex-Ferrari driver has sworn to fight until the end. Pic: Reuters
Symbol:
The ex-Ferrari driving force has sworn to struggle till the top. Pic: Reuters

Massa didn’t win once more later 2008, with the Brazilian struggling a near-fatal head trauma on the 2009 Hungarian Lavish Prix. He retired in 2017.



Source link

RELATED ARTICLES

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Most Popular

Recent Comments